Spa history of Carinthia
Wellness in Bad Kleinkirchheim – cradle of spa in Carinthia
In the middle ages people seeking relief from their pain set out on pilgrimages to Bad Kleinkirchheim. The beneficial effect of the thermal water was known far beyond the Alpine peaks of Carinthia – an early form of wellness in Bad Kleinkirchheim, so to speak.
The badly wounded fugitive, Count Palatine Poto, allegedly hid in the Kirchheim Valley during his flight. When quenching his thirst he discovered the healing powers of the thermal water. The warm spring in Bad Kleinkirchheim was popular long before the town was founded. People placed wooden troughs along the course of the water to preserve this natural treasure. Ailing people set out on pilgrimages to the healing springs of Bad Kleinkirchheim. To ensure the safety of the springs a chapel was erected and dedicated to St. Catherine. The chapel has survived to this day and can be found above St. Kathrein Thermal Spa.
First spa and wellness in Bad Kleinkirchheim in Austria
In the 17th century the locals of Bad Kleinkirchheim in Austria diverted the spring water with the help of wooden pipes to a bathhouse. The oldest written documents mentioning such bathing activities date back to 1670. Regulations of the bathing activities in Bad Kleinkirchheim were decreed in 1762. This document also describes a stay at the health spa for the duration of three weeks. Wellness in Bad Kleinkirchheim: in 1831 the guesthouse ‘Zum Badewirt’ provided wellness and spa packages for its guests for the first time in the history of the spa resort in Carinthia.
Wellness in Bad Kleinkirchheim: the history of spa
- 1055 Count Palatine Poto discovers the healing effect of thermal water
- 1884 the first “spa brochure” advertises 12 rooms for guests
- 1934 the first open air thermal bath opens its gates in Kleinkirchheim
- 1935 Kleinkirchheim is granted the title “Bad” – spa resort
- 1957 official new spelling of the town name: Bad Kleinkirchheim
- 1969 the indoor thermal baths open their doors
- 1977 Bad Kleinkirchheim is granted the title of Thermal Spa Resort by the provincial government of Carinthia
- 1979 opening of the Römerbad Thermal Spa
- 1991 complete renovation of the St. Kathrein Thermal Spa
- 2006 complete renovation of the Römerbad Thermal Spa
Wellness in Bad Kleinkirchheim: experience spa history during your holidays in Austria
Would you like to plunge into the spa history and experience wellness in Bad Kleinkirchheim? Do not miss a trip to the oldest spa facilities in the Nockberge Mountain region: treat yourself to a bathing experience from the 17th century at the Karlbad spa.
Bad Kleinkirchheimer Tourismus Marketing GmbH
9546 Bad Kleinkirchheim
Phone.: +43 4240 / 8212