Regional specialities of the Nockberge Mountains in Austria
Hearty traditional cuisine for your holidays in Carinthia
Set out on a culinary journey of exploration to the Alpine chalets and mountain restaurants Bad Kleinkirchheim and sample delicious regional cuisine during your fantastic holidays in Carinthia.
The crisp mountain air piques your appetite. Why not stop for a bite at one of many charming Alpine chalets or mountain restaurants. Tempting fragrances waft from small kitchens making your stomach rumble. Taste delicious meals prepared from recipes passed down from one generation to the next using only the freshest local ingredients. Indulge in meat and cheeses made by local farmers. In Carinthia the ancient rural tradition of cooking is still alive – taste the freshness!
Regional specialities and rural cuisine in Carinthia
It may sound like a story from the good old days – but it is a lively reality in the Nockberge Mountains. Junk food has no place here! Here, passionate chefs wield their cooking spoons to prepare their culinary temptations as freshly as possible. The traditional Carinthian cuisine is a matter of regional pride. Set out to discover the hidden treassures of Carinthian cuisine during your holidays in Bad Kleinkirchheim.
Highlights of the Carinthian cuisine:
- ‘Kärntner Brennsupp'n’ (Roux soup with flour, refined with marjoram and egg)
- ‘Kärntn Kasnudeln’ (A kind of local ravioli filled with cheese curd and herbs)
- ‘Rumplernudl’ (Shortcurst balls baked in boiling fat, covered with sugar)
- ‘Erdäpflrauggn’ (Mashed potatoes with flour, egg and baking powder, formed into small dumplings and fried in boiling fat. Served with sauerkraut as a savoury option or coffee and powdery sugar as a sweet option)
- ‘Sterzmuas’ (Corn flour cooked with a lot of water, served with butter milk or coffee)
- ‘Kasrauggn’ (One part flour, one part cheese curd, egg, baking powder and milk – fried in boiling fat)
- ‘Eierschmarrn’ (A pancake speciality)
- ‘Gamsngulasch’ (Chamois goulash)
- ‘Schafbratl’ (Roast mutton with roast potatoes)
These are only a few of Carinthia’s delicious regional specialities. Simple dishes, but lovingly prepared with fresh local ingredients and expertly refined. “The farmer’s favourite dish is everything that is tasty and filling” as the saying goes.
Bad Kleinkirchheimer Tourismus Marketing GmbH
Dorfstraße 30, 9546 Bad Kleinkirchheim
Phone: +43 4240 / 8212